- Ushered into the Langley Memorial Aeronautical Laboratory in 1935 [….], they acted as human computers.
- Called the West Computers, after the area to which they were relegated, they helped blaze a trail for mathematicians and engineers of all races and genders to follow.
- Built in 1917, this research complex was the headquarters for the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics (NACA)…
- Surrounded by the West Computers and other academics, it took decades for Shetterly to realize the magnitude of the women’s work.
- Growing up in Hampton, Virgina, in the 1970s, Shetterly lived just miles away from Langley.